Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Happy Birthday, Sarah!"

The Story:

My niece, Miss Sarah Elizabeth, is turning one. I can hardly believe it! Last year I flew to Tennessee to hold her when she was just 24 hours old. I love buying pink everything. I carried with me a suitcase filled with girlie clothes, blankets, shoes, bows, hats -- there was hardly any room for my own stuff! I have five nephews and she my one sweet baby girl. When my sister-in-law, Dawn, asked me to make the invitations I could not refuse. Anything for my Miss Sarah!

The Layout:

I almost never make cards, but I do regularly make invitations. This one was a bit of a challenge. The theme of the party is Sesame Street with an emphasis on Elmo and Big Bird. I could not find any Sesame Street paper or stickers in any of my local craft and scrapbook stores. While I was in at Simply Scrapbooks one of the fabulous gals suggested I try Party City. (I'd like to give her credit, but I'm sorry I don't know her name yet.) At Party City I found a set of thin "Look and Find Elmo" books that came four in a package. They were meant to be party favors, but I took them and cut them apart and used the pages for the background paper.

Elmo was downloaded from Google Images. I printed him on photo paper, 2X3 - 9 to a sheet, and cut out each one. I used foam pop-dots to make him 3D.

I loved this invitation because it challenged my thinking. I didn't have paper and stickers to rely on. I had to really look at what was available and make it work for me.

1 comment:

  1. how cute!! I love to make my kids invites.... how sweet that you were able to make your precious nieces birthday invite.... very creative and super cute! you did awesome.... ;)

    ReplyDelete