Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"the boy and his dog"

The Story:


When Lizzie showed up on the property she was barely four months old, skin and bones, and filthy. (It took four consecutive baths and an entire bottle of dog shampoo to get the stench off of her!) Clearly, she had been dumped. It was heartbreaking, but the last thing in the world I wanted was a puppy. We had Roxie (The Princess) what more could the boys want? I told them the puppy could stay until we had her cleaned up, fattened up, doctored by our vet and spayed, then she'd be a great dog -- for someone to adopt from the SPCA. (Sure, Momma, whatever!)


Days stretched into weeks and weeks stretched into months and I watched as she slowly became a part of the family, albeit a part of the family who chewed shoes, piddled on the floor, and shredded paper. The boys always took her part, defending her to me when I would freak out over pieces of tissue lying all over the living room. "Mommy, you have to be patient. She's just a puppy." (That's a direct quote!)


Sometimes doing the thing doesn't make sense, turns out to be the perfect decision. . . Although she's really the boys' dog, Lizzie has made us better as a family -- all of us, including Roxie. She's ours. (Why I fooled myself into thinking she wouldn't be, I will never know.) We're hers and I think that was the way it was supposed to be all along.
The Layout:


This layout was inspired by one of my scrappin' gal friends, Anna. She posted on her blog (nest happenings) some information about crafting green. It really got me thinking seriously about the amount of packaging we have in scrapbooking that gets dumped into landfills. Scrapbooking has to be the ultimate art form for reusing materials like plastic and cardboard. So I have been saving my packaging and trying to figure out how to get it onto my pages. I have a few ideas mulling around in my head and this is the first that I finished.


The plastic is from Tim Holtz charms. I filled each bubble with a trinket and attached the whole embellishment to the paper with brads. The paper is Sassafras Vintage Yummy and I stitched on the layout with embroidery floss.


I hope this layout will inspire you to look at your packaging in a new way before you toss it! Thanks for making me think, Anna!

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I find your blog today. Thanks for sharing the idea.Have a nice blogging and success for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously? I made your blog post with a green inspiration? (i'm way honored) but seriously - I am dying to see this layout up close and personal!! YUM YUM tim holtz fragments...... I did not think about it in this fashion - You rocked it again my friend or should I say guru!!!!! xo - anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! This story has me thinking of my Bubba....When I was pregnant with my first son, Gabriel, my husband and I went to our local shelter looking for a small in house dog. Well, we seen a few but then one of the volunteers said I have a dog you really need to meet. So, he brought out this huge 120+ pound lab/mastiff mix he called Bubba. He looked very intimidating! I honestly was a little hesitant to even get close to him. Then I knelled next to him and quickly realized I was in the midst of the world's friendliest, most loving dog! I immediately felt a bond. The volunteer then told us his heart wrenching tale. He had been shot with a high powered rifle at close range in the back of his neck. A good Samaritan brought him in after finding him lying on the side of the road. They bandaged him up and nursed him back to health. He had already been at the shelter for three months and due to cost they could only keep him two more weeks before they had no choice but to euthanize him. That broke my heart! But we really didn't need this huge dog in our little 950 sq. foot home with a baby on the way. So, I told the volunteer that we'd call back in two weeks, if he didn't have a home we'd adopt him. Well, we waited the two weeks, already buying dog supplies, we were praying he was still there! We called and yes he was there. No one wants an old dog the volunteer said. He was 3 years old. We said WE DO!! We're coming to get him now. We rushed there as fast as we could. Bubba was so happy to see us his whole back end was wagging, bottom, tail and all. He knew we were there to take him home. He knew that he finally had someone who would love and care for him for the rest of his life! He's been so wonderful. The best behaved dog we've ever owned. He's amazing with children, protective and playful. He is a great addition to our family and I've never regretted bringing him home. We just celebrated his 12th birthday last month! He's momma's boy and we all love him so very much! Its an amazing love and loyalty like none I've ever witnessed from another animal!
    Hugs, Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete